Faculty misconduct & grievances

Bloomington Faculty who have been adversely affected by administrative action have several avenues for seeking review. The faculty member typically begins by discussing the action with the department chair, executive associate dean or other senior administrator in the individual’s unit. If a satisfactory compromise is not reached, the faculty member may consult with the Vice Provost for Faculty and Academic Affairs. If no informal resolution is achieved, a faculty member may seek the assistance of the Mediation Committee or file a formal grievance with the Faculty Board of Review.

Where to start

If you have questions about where to start, contact the Ombudsman, Alex Tanford at tanford@indiana.edu. He can confidentially advise on the grievance processes and your specific situation.

If you are ready to file a formal grievance, contact Lana Spendl, Director of the Faculty Council Office who will process your request and arrange for a Board of Review.